Sunday, January 30, 2011

Real Music

Some people think John Mayer is just a beautiful person with a beautiful voice. But John Mayer is a beautiful artist (and a beautiful person). It's the same reason why I don't like movies with "happy endings". I love the reality of everything even without a "happy ending". His songs are always about the struggle of being "YOU". He questions love and maybe it's because he hasn't found real love, or maybe he doesn't understand it. He's had many relationships with "worthy" women but they never seem to last. It's possible he doesn't feel comfortable being someone's "everything". His songs express he has felt love but not the "I can't live without you" kind of love.

"Would you want me when I'm not myself?"

"Made a plan, stay the man who can only love himself."

"Oh I'll never know what makes this man with all the love that is heart can stand. Dream of ways to throw it all away."

It seems very complex. When it's real love, its not complex...it's easy...it's never questioned. But he's discovering who he is and why he is the way he is. And that's beautiful.