The more color you add into your diet, the more nutrients you will get! With all the various colors, each food has different potential benefits to offer. Next time when grocery shopping, if your cart isn't screaming the colors of the rainbow, educate yourself with the info below and take another lap.
Greens indicate antioxidant potential and fiber that reduce cancer risks and smoothens bowel movement.
Fruits: avocado, apples, grapes, honeydew, kiwi and lime
Vegetables: artichoke, asparagus, broccoli, green beans, green peppers, cucumber and leafy greens such as spinach
Orange and deep yellow fruits and vegetables contain nutrients that promote healthy vision, immunity and give you glowing skin.
Fruits: apricot, cantaloupe, grapefruit, mango, papaya, peach and pineapple
Vegetables: carrots, yellow pepper, yellow corn and sweet potatoes
Purple and blue options may have antioxidant and anti-aging benefits and may help with memory, urinary tract health.
Did you know that we spend 33% of our lives asleep? I know we all want to live as much life as we possibly can but decreasing this percentage is a big no no. It's really important to get enough sleep so you can give your body enough time to self-heal. Sleeping is just as important as eating and breathing. Without deep sleep, you're more likely to get sick, feel depressed and gain an unhealthy amount of weight. Um, no thank you.
With that being said, nothing is more aggravating when you know everything above but your body just won't cooperate. Some people miserably suffer with bad cases of insomnia and need to seek out medical attention. Before resorting to pills that you may not need, try these natural sleeping aids and remedies. Sleep can be very fragile so every little bit helps!
1. A glass of warm milk. It's not a myth, it's true! Milk contains tryptophan, an amino acid that is also found in turkey. The tryptophan is converted to serotonin in the body, calms the body and consequently, induces sleep.
2. Exercise. Try yoga - meditation causes instant relaxation. Regular exercise during the daytime reduces stress and enhances the quality of your sleep. Do not exercise right before bedtime. It can energize you and you will be bouncing off the walls.
3. Wholegrain cereals, pulses and nuts contain Vitamin B, which is proven to be effective in curing insomnia.
4. Stick to a fixed schedule for going to bed and waking up (6-8 hours is optimal for adults). Your body doesn't like surprises.
5. Avoid refined sugar, white flour, chocolates, high fat foods etc. is very essential. A high intake of salt can worsen insomnia so make sure you restrict the intake of salt in your diet to a max 5g/day.
6. Chamomile can be used as a natural sleeping aid. It comes in different forms so you can either brew as a tea or simply put under your pillow.
7. Avoid caffeine after noon.
8. Avoid TV and computer screens an hour before bed.
9. Try and avoid naps.
10. Take a hot bath or shower. The temperature drop from getting out of the bath signals your body it's time for bed.
To celebrate Salma Hayek's birthday today, I designated her as our Friday eye candy. I'm starting to wonder if these Friday eye candy posts are a good idea. You know, I'm just never going to wake up and look like this adorable, feisty actress (especially with those 'assets' of hers).
However, there is something about Salma that is inspiring. The woman is approaching 50 and she looks flawless. Sure, photoshop comes into play but not much touching up is needed. Salma is huge on taking care of her skin and body. In her interview with Allure, she said, "I believe that every woman is entitled to fight to preserve her youth." She claims she's never had anything done on her face and never had dermabrasion or peels or injections of any kind.
A few of her beauty secrets are juice detoxes, daily exercises, a balanced diet, excessive sunscreen, and lots of sleep. Yeah, she's definitely a MILF. I can use that term, right?
Even her outlook on men is great...
"I keep waiting to meet a man who has more balls than I do."
According to New York Magazine, Helmut Lang is going to put on its first fashion show since 2005. Theory bought the label from Prada in 2006 and for some reason, never put on a fashion show. They'll do their first one for the label on September 10th during New York Fashion Week. You can watch the show live at HELMUTLANG.COM. Also this month, the brand's new e-commerce store will launch. Although I can't promise cheap finds, I can promise an easy and convenient way to shop the beautiful collection!